A lathe machine is a specially made wood cutting tool that is used for the removal of metals from a workpiece in order to get the desired shape and size. This production machine tool is the most versatile tool that can be used in metalworking, thermal spraying, glass working, metal spinning, woodturning, and many more.
Therefore, a wood lathe should be efficient and perfect in order to have a good start during woodturning. Choosing the right wood lathe machine can be overwhelming with all the research. With so many options available in the market, it can consume a lot of time for choosing the right machine.
When it comes to the finest wood lathe machine which is also under the budget, the Shop Fox W1758 is the ideal choice. This lathe machine is a game-changer consisting of all the amazing qualities in terms of value and material. The Shop Fox W1758 is a bigger and better version of Shop Fox’s W1704. Among all the other qualities, the Shop Fox W1758 is known for its unbelievable power output and affordable price point as well!
You can purchase the Shop Fox W1758 by clicking on the given link:
Here’s a detailed review of the Shop Fox W1758 and why it is the best lathe machine out there.
Shop Fox W1758 Wood Lathe
- Motor: 2 HP, 110V, single-phase
- Its heavy-duty and precision ground cast iron bed and legs ensure stability and little to no less vibration
- Consists of 10 speeds that vary from 600 to 2400 RPM and these lever speeds can be adjusted.
- Quick lock/release levers were added for the tailstock and headstock with a headstock rotation of 0 Degree, 60 Degree, 90 Degree, 120 Degree, and 180 Degree.
- It also consists of a 6-inch faceplate
- Has an MT#2 spur center and MT#2 live center
- Also comes with a tool rest with the swivel arm base
- Requires a corded-electric power sources
- Comes with a two-year warranty
- Weighs around 338 pounds
- Overall dimensions of the lathe machine: ½”L×19″W×48-¾” H
- The total size of the machine: is 43inch.
Shop Fox W1758 Wood Lathe Details
Here is a list of exquisite features of the Shop Fox W1758 woodturning lathe machine.
- This is one of the most potent wood lathes available in its class, powered by a massive 2-horsepower 110V motor. All of this simply implies that it will be able to effortlessly turn your wood for hours! It contains a 10-speed adjustment lever and a variable speed range of 600 to 2400 RPM, allowing you to maintain precise control over the movement of your workpiece. These motors are capable of outperforming any mini lathe on the market today.
- With simple locking handles, you can adjust the height and distance from the workpiece to your desired position. The precision cast iron tailstock is another useful feature. Its center can be quickly and easily adjusted to fit workpieces up to 46 inches long.
- It has a premium cast iron bed and leg and weighs 338 pounds, which is essential for minimizing vibration during woodturning. This implies that you’ll be able to produce flawless, high-quality woodwork. It has a built-in digital tachometer that displays the exact spindle speed, which aids in maintaining consistent control.
- Its heavy-duty and precisely ground cast iron is used for the construction of the lathe’s body. With a weight of 338 pounds, there is no doubt about how sturdy this machine is. It will be able to easily manage your large projects while also beautifully sculpting your smaller projects thanks to the capillitium
- The tailstock and headstock have a quick lock and release feature, which makes a fitting, tweaking, and having to hold your workpiece steady as simple as the flip of a lever.
- The Shop Fox W1758 is equipped with a three-way adjustable tool rest that can be extended. This will provide support for the turning tool you will be using.
- Since it has ten different spindle speed variations, the reading will change as you change the speed, and the tachometer will reveal the exact rpm of the lathe. An amateur woodturner can improve his or her knowledge of lathe operation in this manner. It provides the user with absolute control over the lathe.
- This full-featured lathe is capable of performing outboard turning. Outboard turning is almost like faceplate turning. This feature also enables the lathe’s headstock to be angled from 0 to 90 degrees. For slightly thicker pieces, you can also rotate the headstock 180 degrees. This means you now can create a wider variety of products that can do more than one precise amount.
- It includes a video clamping system in its tailstock. There is a locking plate underneath the bed that lifts and sustains the tailstock in place, providing a rock-solid grip. Shop Fox’s manufacturers are very generous because when you purchase your W1758 wood lathe, you will receive these extending accessories free of charge.
- The Shop Fox W1758 also comes with an MT#2 which is installed in the live center. This helps the woodturner to start turning the spindles right away.
- This lathe machine is an upgraded
The Shop Fox W1758’s Pros and Cons
- The build quality of this lathe machine is excellent since it is made from heavy cast iron which makes its legs very sturdy. The cast iron used for building the body of the machine makes it very solid.
- This lathe machine has a powerful turning capability since it consists of a two-horsepower motor.
- This lathe machine offers 10-speed settings which can be manually set by the user according to their convenience.
- Has efficient handy features such as the lever system with quick-release and quick-locking options.
- Comes with a 2-year manufacturing warranty.
- Created by one of the most reliable manufacturers: Shop Fox.
- It is a bit overweight with a total weight of 338 pounds. This makes it harder to move the lathe machine when necessary.
- The lowest speed offered by this machine can be too fast for new woodturning or would lathe users.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Which sort of belt tends to come with the W1758?
The manual refers to it as M24 3L240. This would seem to be a standard 24″x3/8″ belt. I just ran a search based upon the numbers, and it appears to be fairly common.
- Does the Shop Fox W1758’s RPM go below the speed of 600 RPM?
Unfortunately, it’s not possible. According to the user manual that comes with the Shop Fox W1758, the RPM speed can’t go below 600.
- How big is the highest diameter bowl that this lathe can turn?
Since the motor can be elevated to 90 degrees or moved towards the end in order to turn larger sizes. However, in the center, the largest diameter can be up to 16″.
- Can this lathe machine handle the vibration?
The vibration created while woodturning is nullified because the body of the lathe is made of iron cast and is significantly heavier than conventional machines available on the market.
- Does this lathe machine come with a change belt system for variable speed?
Yes, the Shop Fox W1758 comes with a change belt system which, even though it is a big investment, works efficiently during woodturning projects.
According to our research on the shop fox w1758, this is a great option for serious wood crafters. Shop Fox takes pride in producing tools that are created to last. They are specifically designed to provide years of trouble-free service to their owners. When designing each tool, they paid close attention to every detail.
Everything about the lathe appears to be satisfying, from the build to the performance. Everything runs smoothly thanks to its powerful 2-horsepower motor. The operation is simple, you’ll be able to set up the device by watching some YouTube videos or simply reading the owner’s manual.
Hopefully, this review helped you analyze whether the Shop Fox W1758 is an ideal choice for you or not.
Hi, my name is Charles Winn, A DIY enthusiast, Mechanical Engineer. I was born and raised in Springfield, Missouri. I am also a father of two troublemaker kids, a terrible photographer, and I love to play chess.